Movers Transport Limited – Complaints Handling Policy and Procedure
We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all out clients. When something goes wrong, we need to know in order to assist you, and help to improve our standards. If you have a complaint, please contact us in writing with the details.
What will happen next?
- We will respond to your complaint via email acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three days of receiving it, enclosing a copy of this procedure.
- We will then investigate your complaint. This will normally involve passing your complaint onto our company director, Craig Daniels, who will review your matter, speak to all staff who carried out your removal, or investigate any issue you have given reference to, i.e. a water leak that has led to damaged goods etc. We may ask for images for reference, if appropriate.
- Craig Daniels will then contact you to discuss and hopefully resolve your complaint, or alternatively write to you with a response to your complaint, within 14 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter. A face to face meeting may be necessary to further investigate damage to goods, if appropriate.
- If a claim is to be made of a small nature, under £500, Movers Transport Limited with undertake repairs using a required trade man. Any claims over £500 will be passed on to our insurance company, RBIG. who will deal with the complaint on our behalf.
- At this stage, if you are still not satisfied, you should contact us again to review the decision.
- We will then write to you within 14 days of receiving your request to review the matter, confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons. Movers Transport Limited may do this via email or by inviting you for a meeting.
- If you are still not satisfied by how we have handled your complaint, you can contact The Furniture Ombudsman’s Consumer and Member Services team on: 0333 241 3209, who will assess your claim on an impartial basis. Alternatively, you can contact:
British Association of Removers
62 Exchange Road,
If we have to change any of the timescales above, we will let you know and explain why.
British Association of Removers Alternative Dispute Resolution service
Advice & support
From 1st April 2018, all customer complaints made against a BAR Member will be handled exclusively by The Furniture Ombudsman (TFO), who is a qualified, independent and approved Consumer ADR body under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015. BAR continues to regulate its Members in line with its Membership Criteria and CTSI Approved Code of Practice.
When can we help
TFO can only consider a dispute with a BAR member if you have already been through the trader’s internal complaints procedure, and they were a BAR member at the time when the service was delivered. You must refer the matter to the BAR Member in the first instance and no later than 12 months after your move took place. If you are unable to agree a satisfactory resolution with the trader and they have issued their viewpoint letter, or 8 weeks have elapsed since the date you raised your complaint with them (whichever is the sooner), you can bring a case to TFO. You can check if your removals and storage company is a BAR member here. Please note that we cannot consider a dispute if it has already been though court proceedings.
How to complain to your trader
Contact the business in writing, if possible, (recommend recorded delivery) or email, making clear the following:
- What you believe the trader has not done as per the contract/quote
- What you would like them to do to resolve the issue
You can expect a reply from the business within three working days since receipt of your complaint.
Telling The Furniture Ombudsman about your dispute
You can ring TFO’s friendly Consumer and Member Services team on 0333 241 3209 to find out how our process works. Alternatively, you can fill out an application form and send it back directly to TFO (you can do this by post or e-mail). If you would prefer to choose a friend or relative to handle your complaint for you, we are happy to make the appropriate arrangements, and you can tell us about this in your application form.
What can you expect from The Furniture Ombudsman?
Your claim will be assessed on an impartial basis and the service is free of charge. Your claim will be investigated by one of TFO’s team members who collectively hold legal and professional qualifications in Alternative Dispute Resolution and have between them amassed several years of experience in law and resolving complex consumer disputes. Independence and impartiality are at the heart of the scheme and the values to which the Ombudsman adheres are of utmost importance to everyone at TFO and BAR.
Does the trader have to do what the Ombudsman says?
Yes. If the Ombudsman makes an award in the consumer’s favour, it is binding on the trader. If the award is accepted by the consumer, it becomes a full and final settlement. You are therefore prevented from making any further claims for compensation against the trader in relation to this complaint. You can read the Ombudsman’s full consumer guide for customer of BAR members here. For immediate urgent advice, or if you have any queries regarding this process, please call the BAR Consumer Affairs Team on 01923 699 486 or by filling out the contact form on our page.